January 13 - 19, 2023
EDA announced 12 investments from January 13-19, 2023, totaling $5,780,849, which is matched by $9,313,337 in local investments. These investments include the following: (1) $2,585,849 in three Economic Adjustment Assistance projects to help communities design and implement strategies to adjust or bring about change to their economy in response to structural damage to their underlying economic base that will help create 75 jobs and leverage $35,000,000 in private investments; (2) $1,500,000 in one Public Works project to help communities revitalize, expand, and upgrade their physical infrastructure that will help create 180 jobs and leverage $270,000,000 in private investments; and (3) $1,695,000 in eight Partnership Planning projects to support the development and implementation of the Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy process.
- $2,585,849 in three Economic Adjustment Assistance projects, matched by $673,908 in local investments, as follows:
- $1,500,000 in Assistance to Coal Communities, matched by $400,000 in local investment, to the First Utility District o Hawkins County, Church Hill/Hawkins County, Tennessee, to support the installation of a transmission line along Burlington Road and down the 11W corridor to upgrade the existing water system in Hawkins County. The project will provide a local business with the necessary water to increase business and will ensure the county have the essential infrastructure for future growth in the area. Once completed, the project will increase job creation, bolster economic growth and resiliency, and spur private investment to an area that has been impacted by the decline in the coal industry. The grantee estimates that this investment will help create 75 jobs and leverage $35,000,000 in private investment.
- $794,472 in Assistance to Coal Communities, matched by $198,618 in local investment, to the Georgia Southern University Research and Service Foundation, Inc., Statesboro/Bulloch County, Georgia, to support the implementation of the Georgia Enterprise Network for Innovation and Entrepreneurship project, to install standardized, interactive conference and virtual receptionist equipment at 27 locations throughout the state of Georgia. The project will allow each location to connect to the economic development ecosystem centered at Georgia Southern University and the local EDA University Center. Once completed, the project will connect existing programs offered by Georgia Southern University and its partners for entrepreneurs and businesses with chambers of commerce, and municipalities, which will help bolster economic growth and resiliency to an area that has been impacted by the decline in the coal industry.
- $291,377, matched by $75,290 in local investment, to the Men and Women United for Youth MDC, Inc., Delco/Columbus County, North Carolina, to support the development of a two-year technical assistance project to support connection of workforce and economic assets to better provide economic opportunities to residents of Bladen and Columbus, North Carolina. The project work will support existing programs at the Men and Women United for Youth and Families Resilience Hub and provide support to make programs more robust and accessible to the vulnerable communities of this region, as well as help address the needs and resources in the community that will lead to greater access to job opportunities for individuals and a trainable workforce for employers. Once completed, the project will help strengthen and diversify the regional economy, which will attract private investment, create jobs, and support secondary business development throughout the region.
- $1,500,000 in one Public Works project, matched by $7,648,000 in local investment, as follows:
- $1,500,000, matched by $7,648,000 in local investment, to the City of Eden, Eden/ Rockingham County, North Carolina, to support the evaluation, upgrade, and renovation of the northern aeration basin at the Eden sewer treatment facility in Rockingham County. The project will help benefit the expansion of the Nestle Purina facility and provide needed capacity to support infrastructure that will accommodate job growth in the area. Once completed, the project will bolster job creation, spur private investment, and advance economic resiliency throughout the region. The grantee estimates that this investment will help create 180 jobs and leverage $270,000,000 in private investment.
- $1,695,000 in eight Partnership Planning projects, matched by $991,429 in local investments, to support the development and implementation of a comprehensive economic development strategy (CEDS). The CEDS process is designed to bring together the public and private sectors in the creation of an economic development roadmap to diversify and strengthen the regional economy.
- Region VI P&D Council, Fairmont/Marion County, WV ($210,000/$210,000)
- Northeast Georgia RC, Inc., Athens/Clarke County, GA ($210,000/$210,000)
- Georgia Mountains RD Corporation, Gainesville/Hall County, GA ($210,000/140,000)
- Alabama-Tombigbee RC, Camden/Wilcox County, AL ($210,000/$52,500)
- Atlanta Regional Commission, Atlanta/Fulton County, GA ($210,000/$140,000)
- South Central Alabama DC, Montgomery/Montgomery County, AL ($210,000/$90,000)
- Central Savannah River Area RC, Augusta/Richmond County, GA ($210,000/$52,500)
- Middle GA Regional Commission, Macon/Bibb County, GA ($225,000/$96,429)