April 21 - 27, 2023
EDA announced six investments from April 21-27, 2023, totaling $4,840,934, which is matched by $582,500 in local investments. These investments include the following: (1) $195,000 in two Economic Adjustment Assistance projects to help communities design and implement strategies to adjust or bring about change to their economy in response to structural damage to their underlying economic base; (2) $3,998,434 in one Public Works project to help communities revitalize, expand, and upgrade their physical infrastructure that will help create 38 jobs and save 10 jobs; and (3) $647,500 in three Partnership Planning projects to support the development and implementation of the Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy process.
- $195,000 in two Economic Adjustment Assistance projects, matched by $55,000 in local investments, as follows:
- $120,000 in Assistance to Coal Communities, matched by $30,000 in local investment, to the Region I Planning and Development Council, Princeton/Mercer County, West Virginia, to conduct a comprehensive feasibility and siting study for electric vehicle (EV) charging stations throughout Regions 1 and 4, conducted by a qualified, competitively procured consultant team in Princeton, West Virginia. The study would examine the feasibility of siting new EV charging stations in strategic locations throughout each region in order to catalyze economic development, support existing businesses, improve quality of life for residents and visitors, and support key tourism destinations. Once completed, the project will support and promote economic growth, help create new job opportunities and attract private investment to an area that has been impacted by the decline in the coal industry.
- $75,000 in Assistance to Coal Communities, matched by $25,000 in local investment, to the Putnam County Development Authority, Inc., Hurricane/Putnam County, West Virginia, to support the development of a strategic plan to assist in the capitalization of recent growth while targeting industries and communities located in Putnam County, West Virginia. The plan will address job creation, community resources and greater community attraction in the area. In addition, the plan will help identify and define the most advantageous locations for future business and/or manufacturing development in the county, to identify barriers to these developments which may include infrastructure and topography and develop plans to remedy these shortcomings so that sites can be made attractive to and ready for development. Once completed, the project will support and promote economic growth, bolster job creation, and strengthen the regional economy in an area that has been impacted by the decline in the coal industry.
- $3,998,434 in one Public Works project, with no local match, as follows:
- $3,998,434 to the Fort Mojave Aha Macav Power Service, Mohave Valley/Mohave County, Arizona, to support the development of a new source of clean and renewable energy for the Fort Mojave Reservation through the construction of a 2.3-megawatt solar power system. The project will help with infrastructure, sustainable revenue, and increase job creation that will benefit the Reservation in Mohave County, Arizona. Once completed, the project will produce affordable electricity, attract private investment, and promote economic growth and resiliency on the Reservation. The grantee estimates that this investment will help create 38 jobs and save 10 jobs.
- $647,500 in three Partnership Planning projects (listed below), matched by $527,500 in local investments, to support the development and implementation of a comprehensive economic development strategy (CEDS). The CEDS process is designed to bring together the public and private sectors in the creation of an economic development roadmap to diversify and strengthen the regional economy.
- Region III-A D&RPC, Kendallville/Noble County, IN ($210,000/$210,000)
- Michiana Area COG, South Bend/Saint Joseph County, IN ($227,500/$227,500)
- Central Upper Peninsula P&DRC, Escanaba/Delta County, MI ($210,000/$90,000)