EDA And Disaster Recovery
EDA has a long history of successfully supporting disaster recovery and resiliency efforts (PDF). EDA's role in disaster recovery is to facilitate the timely and effective delivery of Federal economic development assistance to support long-term community economic recovery planning and project implementation, redevelopment and resilience. EDA is uniquely positioned to coordinate federal support for regional disaster recovery efforts in partnership with its extensive network of Economic Development Districts (EDDs), University Centers, and other stakeholders in designated impact areas.
ECONOMIC RECOVERY SUPPORT FUNCTION (ERSF)
Executed in March 2011, Presidential Policy Directive (PPD)-8: National Preparedness directs all federal government departments and agencies to collaboratively design and implement “a systematic effort to keep the nation safe from harm and resilient when struck by hazards, such as natural disasters, acts of terrorism and pandemics.”
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) established the National Disaster Recovery Framework (NDRF) to facilitate coordinated interagency capacities across all disaster-related mission areas: Prevention, Protection, Mitigation, Response, and Recovery. The NDRF established a total of six Recovery Support Functions (RSF) to facilitate interagency and inter-governmental “problem solving, improve access to resources, and foster coordination among State and Federal agencies, nongovernmental partners and stakeholders.
EDA serves as the Coordinating Agency for the Economic Recovery Support Function (ERSF) (PDF) on behalf of the Department of Commerce (DOC). In this capacity, EDA provides leadership, coordination and oversight for primary and support agencies, all of which share a role in the provision of grants, loans, training and other forms of assistance to support economic recovery efforts in disaster-impacted communities and regions. To assist interagency coordination, EDA established an Economic Recovery Working Group (PDF) of federal partners.
Post-Disaster Economic Recovery Resources
The post-disaster economic recovery environment can be exceptionally challenging. EDA has captured the following resources that may be useful for disaster recovery managers both in preparation for and in response to catastrophic disaster scenarios.
EDA-Supported Disaster Recovery Tools
- EDA’s Disaster Recover Brochure (PDF)
- Leadership in Times of Crisis toolkit
for resources and information, as well as links to recovery information.
- National Economic Resilience Data Explorer (NERDE) EDA & the Argonne National Laboratory.
EDA Disaster Resilience and Recovery Reports
- Economic Recovery Support Function Field Operations Manual (PDF), FEMA (in collaboration with EDA), June 2021. This guide details the inner workings of interagency disaster recovery and tips for deployed personnel.
- The Hurricane Harvey Long-Term Economic Recovery Workshops Report, April-June, 2018 (PDF)
- Economic Resiliency Review for Colorado Following the Sept. 2013 Floods (PDF)
- Economic Resilience Strategy Report for Oklahoma Following the May 2013 Tornadoes (PDF)
Data, Tools, and Resources
- Joplin, MO, Regional Disaster Economic Recovery and Resiliency Strategy (PDF), September 2012; funded by USEDA.
- Post-Disaster Redevelopment Planning: Addressing Adaptation During Long-Term Recovery (PDF), June 2018, FL Dept. of Economic Opportunity & FL Division of Emergency Management
- Disaster Recovery and Redevelopment Plans, Georgia Department of Natural Resources. Links to county coastal recovery and resiliency plans.
- Community Resilient Toolkit - describes strategies for increasing resilience to climate changes, (The US Department of Housing and Urban Development)
- US Climate Resilience Toolkit, NOAA and partners
- How to Prepare for Natural Disasters: A Pre-Disaster Toolkit for Small- to Medium-Size Communities (Urban Waters Learning Network)
- U.S. Cluster Mapping Data Tools (PDF)
- EDA Stats America: Data and analysis tools to support regional competitiveness in a knowledge-based economy (PDF)
- EJ Screen: Environmental Justice Screening and Mapping Tool
- Community Resilience Economic Decision Support Guide (EDG), National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
- Regional Resilience Toolkit: 5 Steps to Build Large Scale Resilience to Natural Disasters, USEPA, FEMA, Association of Bay Area Governments, July 2019
- The National Mitigation Framework – focused on resilience and reducing disaster risk
- FEMA Disaster Recovery Toolkits and Resource Guides
- Regional Resilience Report: National Association of Development Organizations (NADO)", April 2012 (PDF)
Strategic Considerations, Specific Industry Sectors
Industry Sector-Specific Considerations
- Biotechnology, Pharmaceuticals, and Life Sciences (PDF)
- Advanced Manufacturing (PDF)
- Health Care (PDF)
- Financial Services (PDF)
- Leisure, Hospitality, and Retail Services (PDF)
- The FL Panhandle Regional Recreation Economy: Building an Alliance for Long-Term Resilience and Economic Recovery – a Summit and Final Report on building the recreational economy as way to recover from and mitigate disasters
- Information Technology (PDF)
- Transportation, Logistics, and Distribution (PDF)
- Coastal Issues