Economic Recovery & Resilience Resources
EDA and FEMA in September 2022 released a new tool, the CEDS and Hazard Mitigation Plan Alignment Guide, to help link economic development and hazard mitigation plans and priorities. Learn more about the CEDS and Hazard Mitigation Plan Alignment Guide. Download the full CEDS and Hazard Mitigation Plan Alignment Guide. (PDF) Please also see EDA’s new Climate Resilience guidance for Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy planning.
EDA completed its 5-year Economic Recovery mission for Hurricane Maria in December 2022. Among its activities, EDA supported a new Laborshed study (PDF) for USVI, helping the islands build its workforce for jobs of today and the future.
EDA-Supported Disaster Recovery Tools
- EDA’s Disaster Recover Brochure (PDF)
- Leadership in Times of Crisis toolkit
for resources and information, as well as links to recovery information.
- National Economic Resilience Data Explorer (NERDE) EDA & the Argonne National Laboratory.
- Economic Development Recovery & Resiliency Playbook, California Association for Local Economic Development, in partnership with EDA (2022) (PDF)
EDA Disaster Resilience and Recovery Reports
- Economic Recovery Support Function Field Operations Manual (PDF), FEMA (in collaboration with EDA), June 2021. This guide details the inner workings of interagency disaster recovery and tips for deployed personnel.
- The Hurricane Harvey Long-Term Economic Recovery Workshops Report, April-June, 2018 (PDF)
- Economic Resiliency Review for Colorado Following the Sept. 2013 Floods (PDF)
- Economic Resilience Strategy Report for Oklahoma Following the May 2013 Tornadoes (PDF)
Data, Tools, and Resources
- Joplin, MO, Regional Disaster Economic Recovery and Resiliency Strategy (PDF), September 2012; funded by USEDA.
- Post-Disaster Redevelopment Planning: Addressing Adaptation During Long-Term Recovery (PDF), June 2018, FL Dept. of Economic Opportunity & FL Division of Emergency Management
- Disaster Recovery and Redevelopment Plans, Georgia Department of Natural Resources. Links to county coastal recovery and resiliency plans.
- Community Resilient Toolkit - describes strategies for increasing resilience to climate changes, (The US Department of Housing and Urban Development)
- US Climate Resilience Toolkit, NOAA and partners
- How to Prepare for Natural Disasters: A Pre-Disaster Toolkit for Small- to Medium-Size Communities (Urban Waters Learning Network)
- U.S. Cluster Mapping Data Tools
- EDA Stats America: Data and analysis tools to support regional competitiveness in a knowledge-based economy
- EJ Screen: Environmental Justice Screening and Mapping Tool
- Community Resilience Economic Decision Support Guide (EDG), National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
- Regional Resilience Toolkit: 5 Steps to Build Large Scale Resilience to Natural Disasters, USEPA, FEMA, Association of Bay Area Governments, July 2019
- The National Mitigation Framework – focused on resilience and reducing disaster risk
- FEMA Disaster Recovery Toolkits and Resource Guides
- Regional Resilience Report: National Association of Development Organizations (NADO)", April 2012 (PDF)
Strategic Considerations, Specific Industry Sectors
Industry Sector-Specific Considerations
- Biotechnology, Pharmaceuticals, and Life Sciences (PDF)
- Advanced Manufacturing (PDF)
- Health Care (PDF)
- Financial Services (PDF)
- Leisure, Hospitality, and Retail Services (PDF)
- The FL Panhandle Regional Recreation Economy: Building an Alliance for Long-Term Resilience and Economic Recovery – a Summit and Final Report on building the recreational economy as way to recover from and mitigate disasters
- Information Technology (PDF)
- Transportation, Logistics, and Distribution (PDF)
- Coastal Issues